Explore the Salkantay Trek and Short Inca Trail hike to Machu Picchu
The Salkantay Trek is named for Mount Salkantay (6,271 m / 20,574 feet). This Sacred Mountain is higher than any mountain in North America. On this trek you will see gorgeous blue lakes, stunning glaciers, cloud forest with green vegetation and many archeological ruins. This trek is a great blend of the two very popular hikes, with an incomparable variety of flora and fauna.
So, anyone who knows anything about Peru knows about the Inca Trail, and with good reason. It is an amazing way to get to Machu Picchu, while making the most of what this ancient path has to offer: fascinating Inca ruins, cloud forests, subtropical jungle, not to mention the amazing llamas and alpacas you will meet on the way and the local flora you will marvel at.
This is a very unique version of the Classic Salkantay Trek and short Inca Trail hike to Machu Picchu. The first two days follow one of the common Salkantay trails, but on the 3rd day we depart the Salkantay trails to enjoy the first day section of the Classic Inca Trail, and the 4th day is the hiking of the Short Inca Trail Hike to Machu Picchu.
- Discover a new path that is little traveled, and full of beautiful landscapes, magnificent snow mountains, turquoise lakes, waterfalls and cloud forests that hide Inca citadels.
- Explore in a single tour the three best treks to Machu Picchu (salkantay trek, classic inca trail, short inca trail)
- Visit the network of roads of the Incas, and during the journey you will connect to the first section of the classic Inca trail, you can also contemplate this incredible marvel of the construction of more than 600 years, even in full use.
- Experience a walk through the wild mountains of Cusco, only traveled by the mountain muleteers, who will share their customs and cultural traditions.
- Understand in depth about the culture, astronomy, and history of the Incas, with the best local guides.
- Delight your palate with the best typical dishes of PERU prepared by our chefs.
- Feel the harmony and energetic force of our mountains, which will leave you without stress or worry, just disconnect from the noise of the cities.
Inclusions of this tour
SALKANTAY TREK & SHORT INCA TRAIL: CUSCO – SORAYPAMPA – ICHUPATA
We will pick you up from your hotel early in the morning and have a beautiful scenic drive of 3 hours duration to Mollepata. At Mollepata we will have breakfast at one of the local houses. During this portion of the drive we will have our first views of the magnificent Salkantay and Humantay Mountains, as well as observe lush vegetation and the fields of local families growing potatoes, quinua, lima beans, etc.
At this point we will arrive at Soraypampa (3,800 m/12,467 ft), the trailhead for the Salkantay trek, and meet our support staff, who will pack everything for the trek and load the equipment onto horses. The first thing we will do is hike up to the magnificent Humantay Lake. After enjoying the beauty and taking pictures, we will hike back down to Soraypampa and “officially” begin the trek.
The hike today is uphill from Soraypampa to Ichupata (4,300 m / 14,104 ft) in the upper valley. This is a 5 to 6 hour hike. Along the way we will pass Salkantaypampa, which is our lunch spot. Ichupata is our camp for the night. When we arrive, we will settle in, have happy hour and a hearty dinner.
Accommodation: Confortable Camping Tents
- Salkantay Trek – Challacancha trail to Soraypampa, Photo stop viewpoint
- Salkantay Trek – Humantay lake, Photo stop viewpoint
- Lunch, Dinner
SALKANTAY TREK & SHORT INCA TRAIL: ICHUPATA – INCACHIRIASCA – PAMPACAHUANA
After a savory breakfast, we will begin the 3 to 4 hour steep climb to towards the Incachiriasca pass (4850m/15908ft), the highest of the entire route. We will have amazing views of Apu Salkantay and glacial moraines during this portion. We will pause at the top of the pass to take pictures and enjoy the magnificent view.
We will then descend towards our lunch spot at Sisaypampa, a flat area from which one can observe the neighboring Salkantay Valleys. This is a place where we might see Andean condors.
After lunch we continue towards the Pampacahuana community (3,700 m / 12,136 ft), located next to an original Inca canal. This is our camp for the night.
Accommodation: Confortable Camping tents
- Salkantay Trek – Inca Chiriaska Pass, Photo stop viewpoint
- Salkantay Trek – Pampacahuana Valley, Photo stop viewpoint
- Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
SALKANTAY TREK & SHORT INCA TRAIL: PAMPACAHUANA – PAUCARCANCHA – HUAYLLABAMBA
We begin by hiking downhill for 2 hours from Pampacahuana to Paucarcancha (3133 m / 10,276 ft)). We will visit the Inca site of the same name.
After to explore we will hike downhill for 3 hours until we reach Huayllabamba village, there we will have our lunch. Afterwards, we will descend to the Urubamba River, following the first section of the Inca Trail, this day we will be able to appreciate the archaeological complex of Patallacta, which is famous for its semicircular constructions, and near there is another Inca compound named Willcaraqay. At dusk we will arrive at Km 82, where we will spend the night.
Accommodation: Comfortable Inca trail camping tents
- Inca Trail Hike – The sacred river of Vilcanota, Viewpoint photo stop
- Inca Trail Hike – K’anabamba, Archeological Site
- Inca Trail Hike – Patallaqta & Huillcarakay Archeological Site
- Inca Trail Hike – Valley of Tarayoc, Viewpoint photo stop
- Inca Trail Hike – Huayllabamba farmlands
Meals Included: Lunch, Dinner
SALKANTAY TREK & SHORT INCA TRAIL: OLLANTAYTAMBO – WIÑAYHUAYNA – SUN GATE – MACHU PICCHU
Early in the morning we go to the train station. One hour free flowing train ride to 104 kms (2,100m/6,927ft) will take us to the beginning our trek, where we cruise past the first checkpoint with easy. Afterwards we initiate a moderate climb for three hours to the chiselled remnants and remote archaeological site of Wiñayhuayna . (2,650m/8747ft). As we view out with an open mind and heart, we embrace the spectacular plunging views of the Urubamba Canyon, and the ethnic wonder of ancient Inca sites, we make our connection into the traditional four day Inca Trail. After being at one with this beautiful sight, we continue onward towards the Sun Gate (2,730mts/9,007ft). Following the ancient remote footpath we grasp onto our first spectacular view of Machu Picchu in all its brilliance and majestic monumentality. As we move closer to the Citadel of Machu Picchu, you will feel the reasoning of her energetic vibration. Then we take our bus to Aguas Calientes, where we spend the night in our hotel.
Accommodation: Hotel in machu picchu pueblo (1 night)
- 2 Day Inca Trail Hike – The sacred river of Vilcanota, Viewpoint photo stop
- 2 Day Inca Trail Hike – Chachabamba, Archeological Site
- 2 Day Inca Trail Hike – Wiñaywayna, Archeological Site
- 2 Day Inca Trail Hike – Inca Sun Gate, Viewpoint photo stop
Meals Included: Lunch, Dinner
SALKANTAY TREK & SHORT INCA TRAIL: VISIT OF MACHU PICCHU – BACK TO CUSCO
This day the tour in Machu Picchu will take place early in the morning, after getting ready at the hotel, we will take the bus at 5:30 am. After a trip along the road surrounded by vegetation and impressive views of the Putukusi mountain, we will arrive at the access point for the sacred sanctuary of Machu Picchu.
First, before passing the control, those who wish to use the toilets will be able to do so. Since there are no bathrooms inside Machu Picchu, if you are going to go outside once inside, unfortunately you will not be able to re-enter.
Our visit to the wonder of Machu Picchu will be through circuit number 2, since it is one of the most complete. On this tour you will be able to go up to the famous guardian’s house from where the postcard photo of Machu Picchu will be taken, then you will pass through the main gate, the ceremonial plaza, the Inca’s house, the ceremonial fountains, you will see the temple of the sun, but not up close; You can also access the pyramid where the sundial is located.
Continuing with the circuit you will arrive at the sector of the sacred rock, and finally you will visit the urban area where the royal houses of the Inca nobles were, and also the room of mirrors. After 3 hours of travel we will retire with our guide, and once outside you can have a drink or food. Because inside the complex is prohibited.
Then you can take the bus down to the town of Aguas Calientes, where you will have enough time to have your lunch. At 2:30 p.m. it will be the time of the return train to the Ollantaytambo station, where your return transportation to Cusco awaits you, arriving at approximately 7:00 p.m.
- Included Activities:
- 2 Day Inca Trail Hike – Guard House, Viewpoint photo stop
- 2 Day Inca Trail Hike – Agriculture Terraces in Machu Picchu, Archeological Site
- 2 Day Inca Trail Hike – Royal Houses in Machu Picchu, Archeological Site
- 2 Day Inca Trail Hike – Great Temple of Machu Picchu, Archeological site
- 2 Day Inca Trail Hike – Temple of the 3 Windows, Archeological site
- 2 Day Inca Trail Hike – Temple of the Sun, Archeological site
- 2 Day Inca Trail Hike – Temple of the Condor, Archeological site
- 2 Day Inca Trail Hike – Temple of the Sacred Rock, Archeological site
- 2 Day Inca Trail Hike – Sacred water fountains, Archeological site
Best season to travel
The best time to visit Peru is during the dry season, between May and November, when the weather is dry and bright, with more frequent rainfall occurring between November and April.
Choose your preferred departure date to proceed
A unique adventure in Salkantay Trek & Short Inca Trail Hike to Machu Picchu 5 Days
What to Bring for this tour
Inca Trail Tours
Why Inca Trail Expeditions
We make sure you get a true taste of your destination. We want to create experiences that give you a deeper perspective
Our friendly reservations team have first-hand experience of our holidays and will help you at every stage of your booking. They are available seven days a week to answer your questions.
Inca Trail Expeditions is a 100% local Tour Operator , with more than 15 years of experience.
Discover the most impressive landscapes of the Andes, travel to the Amazon rainforest, enjoy authentic cultural experiences with the best guides in Peru.
Explore the best Inca Trail Trek to Machu Picchu in small Groups.
Our much-loved National Escorts, whose knowledge and dedication have won us the best reputation in the industry, will make your holiday with us truly extraordinary.