Explore Machu Picchu by Train in 2 Days
The tour to Machu Picchu is a place that captivates tourists not only because of its dazzling architectural beauty, but also because of its important historical-cultural legacy, which has led it to be recognized and admired throughout the world.
This ancient Inca city is one of Peru’s most precious treasures. It was built in the mid-15th century and it is believed that it was one of the residences of the ninth Inca of Tahuantinsuyo, Pachacútec, although there are also the remains of a sanctuary. Its name means old mountain, and refers to the place where it is located, at about 2,453 meters above sea level, on a rocky premonitory between Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu.
- Discover the ancient Incan citadel of Machu Picchu one of the grandest and most enthralling sites to see in the whole of Latin America, with an expert local guide. Visiting this citadel hidden in the mountains is inspiration enough for a first-time visit, but the Incas were just one in a long line of peoples with a surviving legacy to explore.
- Visiting this citadel hidden in the mountains is inspiration enough for a first-time visit, but the Incas were just one in a long line of peoples with a surviving legacy to explore. The temples, palaces and houses are in a remarkable preserved state. The Spanish never ventured up the mountains and so left it untouched.
- With a spectacular train journey through the Urubamba Valley, arrive back in the archaeological city of Cusco, to spend your final nights in the glorious former capital of the Incan empire.
- The greatest cultural legacy of the Inca Empire, in the sanctuary of Machu Picchu, you will be able to learn more closely the true history of this advanced culture, in terms of astronomy, agriculture, engineering, and art.
- You will be surrounded by a very spectacular nature, which merges with the blue sky of the Andes, and its great mountains, which allow you to take the best photos on your trip to Peru.
Inclusions of this tour
CUSCO - OLLANTAYTAMBO - AGUAS CALIENTES
You will be picked up from your Hotel in Cusco, to take the transportation to Ollantaytambo, this takes approximately 2 hours. Then board the train at 13:30 pm , on the journey to Aguas calientes you will have a pleasant tour, enjoying the breathtaking scenery through the panoramic windows of the train. You can see the “Nevado Veronica”, the starting point of the famous Inca Trail, the Inca terraces of Patallacta and the archaeological complex Choquesuysuy. Upon arrival in Aguas Calientes, the village at the foot of Machu Picchu will be picked up by the hotel staff. In the afternoon you will meet our guide, to give you the corresponding information, to visit Machu Picchu.
Hotel Retama Machu Picchu
TOUR IN MACHUPICCHU-RETURN TO CUSCO
After an early breakfast, catch a bus to Machu Picchu (approx 30 minutes along a winding road). The first bus departs at around 5.30am. Please note that you will need to check out and leave your luggage on storage at the hotel while you visit Machu Picchu.
A local guide will take you on a 2 hour tour through the ruins. While it is thought Machu Picchu was built around 1440 as a country retreat for Incan nobility, there is evidence this had been a sacred site for much longer. Another school of thought is that this was an astronomical observatory. There is plenty of time to decide for yourself as you wander around the many temples, palaces and living quarters.
After taking advantage of the seemingly endless photo opportunities it is time to return to Cusco, travelling first by train to Ollantaytambo (approx 90 minutes) then a shared transfer to Cusco (approx 90 minutes). Upon your arrival to Cusco your tour comes to an end.
Best season to travel
The best time to visit Peru is during the dry season, between May and November, when the weather is dry and bright, with more frequent rainfall occurring between November and April.
Choose your preferred departure date to proceed
A unique adventure in Tour to Machu Picchu by Train 2 Days
What to Bring for this tour
Inca Trail Tours
Why Inca Trail Expeditions
We make sure you get a true taste of your destination. We want to create experiences that give you a deeper perspective
Our friendly reservations team have first-hand experience of our holidays and will help you at every stage of your booking. They are available seven days a week to answer your questions.
Inca Trail Expeditions is a 100% local Tour Operator , with more than 15 years of experience.
Discover the most impressive landscapes of the Andes, travel to the Amazon rainforest, enjoy authentic cultural experiences with the best guides in Peru.
Explore the best Inca Trail Trek to Machu Picchu in small Groups.
Our much-loved National Escorts, whose knowledge and dedication have won us the best reputation in the industry, will make your holiday with us truly extraordinary.